Thursday, December 11, 2008

twas the nightmare before christmas...

Here is a poem the creative team (Chris, Tommy, Brian, and Chris) at Jersey wrote a couple of years ago in preparation for a Christmas message series.

Twas the nightmare before Christmas, and all through the house
Everyone is screaming, yes, even your spouse
Uncle Fred in the corner with his evil stare
While Aunt Georgia eats fruitcake without a care

The children are fighting and banging their heads
With screaming of newborns who haven’t been fed
And mamma in her kitchen has just burnt the meal
I may just start running for her wrath I may feel

When out on the lawn there rose such a noise
I could barely hear it but recognized the voice
Away to the window I flew like a flash
Tore open the shutters and stepped on the cat

The moon shone down on the newly fallen snow
A large someone lying there who we did not know
When what to my wandering eyes should appear
It was just Uncle Steve wearing on his face a dreadful sneer

He must have fallen and hurt himself plenty
Seems Uncle Steve had thrown back one too many
I ran to help him and was met at the door
By a small group of carolers singing for the poor

I had no time for song, for the poor, or for cheer
I needed only to get Uncle Steve into the clear
And when on the lawn I was met by red and blue lights
Twas the police who had heard of our house full of fights

With tears in my eyes and no hope in sight
I fell to my knees prayed with all might
“Oh Jesus, my want is to leave this behind”
“Take my heart, take my soul, and please calm my mind”

Twas as if all my worries were no longer a care
And yet with my opening eyes I would share
None of my circumstances had really changed
It was just how I saw them, they are now rearranged

This Christmas will be different and not just for me
But to all who come to Jesus and receive what is free
Twas a nightmare before Christmas before He saved my life
And now He is waiting to be a part of your life.
Seek Him and it is Jesus you’ll find
And then it will be a Merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnight.

No comments: