Thursday, November 13, 2008

Serving Part 5

Part 5 of 6
We've discussed our Spiritual Gifts, our Heart (or Passion), we've discussed the Abilities that God has given us, we looked at our Personality, and we discussed that God will even our Experiences in life to make an impact in the lives of people around us.

In this post we will discuss the fact that our service needs to be rooted in love. I think God is more concerned about the way we serve than what we do with our Spiritual Gifts.

1 Corinthians 12 lays the a foundation for ministry. We learn how God has designed the church to function as the body of Christ. It is interesting to note that in Romans 12, one of the other key passages on Spiritual Gifts, that the discussion on Spiritual Gifts is also followed by a passage on Love. Is it a coincidence that two of the major Biblical passages on Spiritual Gifts are each followed by a passage on Love? I don’t think so…

And now I will show you the most excellent way. -1 Corinthians 12:31b.

Now we are going to be shown a more excellent way of serving, which is to serve in love.

1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. -I Corinthians 13:1-3 (NIV)

It is important to note that the people being spoken of in the above passage are using their Spiritual Gifts. You can do things for the church, but if you are not doing it with love it means nothing. You’re not going to make the difference God wants you to make! Our service expressed without love do not reflect who God is and it will not make a Kingdom Impact.

No comments: